AN INTRODUCTION TO WOOD FINISHING
This course will teach you about applying finishes to a piece of wood. You will learn about different types of finishes and stains, what they are, how to apply them and in what situation you might want to use them. You will also have the opportunity to practice finishing techniques with a range of finishes on boards supplied and make your own stain and wax finish.
Gain the confidence and knowledge to make informed decisions when choosing a finish for your project and new skills in applying finishes to a refined degree.
There will be an emphasis on learning about and using environmentally and animal friendly finishes. Please note that shellac will accordingly not be used as part of this course.
- How to strip old coatings
- Correct surface preparation, including grain filling
- What makes a stain and how to apply them
- What constitutes a wood finish
- How the properties of finish ingredients affect application and final characteristics
- Choosing a suitable finish
- Repair-ability and longevity of coatings
- Light fastness and UV degradation of surface coatings
- Applying oils, waxes, varnishes and paint*
- Storing and looking after your finishes
1 – Suitable for everyone
COURSE TIME OPTIONS:
1 Weekend (both Saturday and Sunday) 10.30am – 3.30pm
All weekly classes must be taken consecutively
HOW TO BOOK IN:
You can book in and pay the course fee through this website page using the drop down menus above.
INCLUDED IN THE COURSE FEE:
All materials, tutoring and tool use – there are no additional costs
*Paint techniques will only be included if time allows
HOW OUR CLASSES WORK:
Tuition is given on an individual basis at each student’s bench to ensure a fully COVID-secure working and learning environment.
We run waiting lists for cancellation spaces on all of our fully booked courses – to be added to a list please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please consider including your telephone number, as spaces sometimes become available at short notice.
If you would like to be kept informed of future dates please also email email@example.com.