Make a solid hardwood armchair frame using hand tools and then upholster the chair back and deep drop-in seat using eco-friendly materials.
At the end of the course you will have an armchair to take home, and a strong foundation of woodwork and upholstery skills that will enable you to start designing & making your own projects.
THIS COURSE WILL TEACH YOU ABOUT:
- Using woodwork and upholstery hand tools
- Chair design for comfort, strength and stability
- Precision marking and cutting of wood
- Creating strong butt and edge joins with modern methods
- Using pocket hole screws and dowels effectively
- Assembling a wood frame and fixings
- Applying a wood finish
- Upholstery foams, natural fillings and sundries
- Eco-friendly upholstery materials and wood finishing
- Upholstery cuts and folds
- Using webbing, fillings and lashed springs to create support and shape
- Stitching and fitting top covers
Approximately 10 days – the pace at which you work is set by you.
2 – Suitable for those who have completed our Upholstered Furniture for Beginners Level 1 course
COURSE TIME OPTIONS:
Friday daytime classes 10.00am – 3.10pm
All classes must be taken consecutively
HOW TO BOOK IN:
We operate individual waiting lists for places in these classes. Please email email@example.com to be added to one or more waiting lists. We will contact you when you get to the top of a list and we can offer you a start date for your course. Please also provide a phone number as sometimes spaces become available at short notice.
INCLUDED IN THE COURSE FEE:
Tutoring and tool use only – please pay for your materials (£190.00) separately here before you start your course: Pay for course materials
You will also need to bring in a mnimum of 3000 x 1000mm of upholstery weight fabric approximately half way through the course. We can advise you about purchasing this when you start classes.
HOW OUR CLASSES WORK:
Our Friday daytime class is mixed level woodwork and upholstery, which means you will likely be in a group of people all doing different projects.
Tuition is given on an individual basis at each student’s bench to ensure a fully COVID-secure working and learning environment.
When you are approaching the end of your Level 2 course, you will be given the option to keep your class space in order to take further courses.