UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE – THE ARMCHAIR
This practical woodwork and upholstery course involves making a solid hardwood armchair frame using hand tools and then upholstering the chair back and deep drop in seat using eco-friendly materials.
Skill level: Beginners
Suitable for those with no previous woodwork or upholstery experience.
THIS COURSE WILL TEACH YOU ABOUT:
- Using woodwork and upholstery hand tools
- Chair design for comfort, strength and stability
- Precision marking and cutting of wood
- Creating strong butt and edge joins with modern methods
- Using pocket hole screws and dowels effectively
- Assembling a wood frame and fixings
- Applying a wood finish
- Upholstery foams, natural fillings and sundries
- Eco-friendly uholstery materials and wood finishing
- Upholstery cuts and folds
- Using webbing, fillings and lashed springs to create support and shape
- Stitching and fitting top covers
All armchair wood and upholstery materials are included in the course fee, other than the top fabric. You will need to bring in 3 metres of upholstery weight fabric (minimum width 1 metre) approximately half way through the course.
8 x Tuesday Daytime Classes 10.00am – 3.00pm
16 x Tuesday Evening Classes 6.20 – 8.35pm