AN INTRODUCTION TO SHARPENING AND TOOL CARE
Wood working hand tools sharpening and maintenance.
This weekend course will teach you what sharp is, and the importance of sharp when using woodworking tools. You will have the opportunity to practise sharpening on your own or our tools.
You will also learn about how to care for your tools to ensure a long (heirloom length) life and perform precise work. We will cover restoring hand planes, as well as how to set them so that they perform exactly how they should, including making fine adjustments.
Gain the confidence to take any tool and tune it to perform fine work for years to come.
- What to look for when purchasing old and new woodworking tools
- Types of tools and what you might need to start woodworking
- Types of sharpening stone and abrasive
- How to sharpen chisels, planes, scrapers and saws*
- Freehand sharpening and honing guides
- Bevel angles and cutter shapes
- The types of steel used in tools and how this might affect how you sharpen them
- How to create a turned edge
- Hand plane restoration, tuning and set up
- How to check you squares are square
- Storing and looking after your tools
COURSE LENGTH & TIMES:
1 Weekend (Saturday & Sunday 10.30am – 3.30pm)
1 – Suitable for everyone
INCLUDED IN THE COURSE FEE:
All materials, tutoring and tool use – there are no additional costs.
Please bring along a woodwork chisel and plane from home to practice on. If you don’t have any to bring, just let us know and we will make sure there are tools available in the workshop for you to use.
*Saw sharpening will only be practised by participants if time allows
HOW OUR CLASSES WORK:
Tuition is given on an individual basis at each student’s bench to ensure a fully COVID-secure working and learning environment.
We run waiting lists for cancellation spaces on all of our courses – to be added to a list please email email@example.com. Please consider including your telephone number, as spaces sometimes become available at short notice.
If you would like to be kept informed of future dates please also email firstname.lastname@example.org.